Friday, September 18, 2009

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" - Casablanca

At a very young age, I began a love affair with the entertainment world. Theater, movies and television have had a huge impact on my life and I feel it's time I started expressing my obsessions with the world!

I was introduced to the theater at a young age. Attending a Broadway show was a regular event in my household. Through the years I saw a variety of shows and although they were different from one another, I had the same feeling each time I went. I was caught up in the bright lights outside the theater. Once inside, I always took note of each theater's unique design and identity. I remember my mom would point out the many chandeliers that lined the ceilings. The lighting, set designs, costumes and performances all contributed to a memorable outing. One of my fondest childhood memories is of seeing a Broadway show every Christmas Season with my family.

My second passion is the world of movies. A friend from work introduced me to Netflix last year and it has become my favorite subscription. Romance, thriller, comedy, tragedy--- I don't care. As long as there is a good story involved, I'm game.

There is nothing quite like a movie theater. I believe that sometimes, everyone should escape reality and go see a movie. What's wrong with sitting back, forgetting your troubles and entering the fantasy world of a story for an hour or two?

When I was 5 years old, my dad took me to see Home Alone at the local movie theater. The experience is one of my earliest memories. I remember sitting next to him and at one point during the movie I turned to him because he was laughing so hard. For those of you who have seen Home Alone (who hasn't?), it was the scene where Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) is trying to run upstairs to his attic and Marv (Daniel Stern) has grabbed his leg. Looking for a way out of the situation, Kevin spots his brother Buzz's pet tarantula and puts it on Marv's face and Marv proceeds to scream in a remarkably high-pitched tone. At that moment, looking at the dozens of people laughing around me, I realized that I was home. I knew I had to be a part of a world that made people come alive in this way.

While I can't regularly attend the movie theater, TV is always around. Although television has changed from the I Love Lucy days, there is still that pull that draws people to their couches every week to watch their favorite show of the moment (and if you're too busy, there is always DVR).

If you have ever quoted lines from a favorite movie or found yourself randomly breaking into a broadway tune, then this blog will prove to be very enjoyable for you. I intend to talk about anything and everything movie and TV related. I also plan to discuss the current Theater world in New York. So with that, sit back, relax and enjoy the show!