Wednesday, January 27, 2010

HOLIDAY MOVIE COUNTDOWN! #2

#2. A Christmas Story (1983)

Every year after Thanksgiving dinner, I slip into my food coma, watch television with family and snap into the holiday spirit. It's my favorite time of you; the season of reflection. Did you stick to your resolutions from the previous year? Were you good to others? What, if anything, would you do differently?

Although I am Jewish (and proud of it!), every holiday season I look forward to spending Christmas Eve at my Aunt's house. My uncle had the great fortune to marry an amazing Italian woman (and wonderful cook!). It is with great anticipation that my brother and I count down the days until we go over and enjoy a great feast with our family.

Aside from the food, it has become an annual tradition that my cousins, brother and I gather around the television and watch at least part of the 24 hour A Christmas Story marathon on TV. Although the plot of this movie is pretty basic - little Ralphie pleads with his parents, his teacher and Santa for an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two hundred shot range model air rifle - for me, it never gets old. "You'll shoot your eye out" is probably one of the greatest holiday movie quotes of our time.

For me, this movie represents time with my family. Everyone is so busy with the day-to-day, Christmas seems to be our time to regroup and catch up. It's one of the happiest days of my year.